Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Centerpeice Options

I went to Ikea today looking for a kitchen rug.  I ended up spending an embarrassing amount of time in the "garden" section scoping out centerpiece options.  I have some serious decisions to make, most of them financial. 

My original idea was to do some type of potted herbs.  I love the look of them, and they go with the wedding colors.  But there are logistics to consider.  If I grow 20 pots of herbs myself, I'll have to find somewhere in our apartment to grow them.  The only window space we have is occupied by the snake tank.  Then I'll have to drive said herb pots across the country. 

So at Ikea, they've got fake herb pots.  For $6 apiece.  That's $120 on fake plants that I won't use after the wedding (but could potentially sell?). 


However, those little pots would save me a whole mess of hassle.  Unless someone wants to grow them for me?  *hint hint*

There were two different pot options for the fake plants.  A metal pot for $1 apiece and white ones for $3 apiece:



The white ones are cute, but the metal ones are cheaper. 

I also found some sweet rectangle vases.  The tall ones are $8 and the short ones are $4

This is the overall vision I was crafting in the Ikea.  The blue vase in the background is a stand-in for the blue wine bottles mentioned in a previous post.  They will be holding the peacock feathers. 

Tall vase with white pot

Metal pot with short vase


I also have a crafty idea to frost those clear glass vases, so keep that in mind as well.  The vases can hold candles (I've already got about 50 battery-operated tea lights).  Although, there was one other alternative use for the vases - fake orchids:


Even more money for more fake flowers....


So I have several decisions to make:
A) Is it worth it to spend $6 apiece on fake herbs? 
B) Metal or white pots?
C) Short vase or tall?
D) Does this entire set up look to disjointed?  I personally love the variation of shapes and textures, but I can see how this wouldnt' necessarily "go" together. 



Please share your opinions!


2 comments:

  1. Honestly, these are cute, but don't kill yourself (financially or mentally) on table decorations. That's one detail that can end up taking a lot of resources for very little impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on making those types of decisions right now. Honestly, if you are trying to be eco about this, I would shy away from the fake plastic flowers all together. Is there someone in the town of your wedding location that would be willing to help you out and maybe grow the plants there for you? What about growing the starts yourself, having the pots shipped to your destination and then planting them in the pots when you get there? Or just calling around to the local garden stores at your destination and see if they have what you are looking for and again, plant them when you arrive? I don't know how much spare time you will have prior to the big day when you get there, but your bridesmaids and family are excellent resources for projects like these.
    As far as the vases, go with your gut. What is the one "stand-out" item that you want people to see? If it is the blue bottle, go with the short vases, if you don't have a preference, then maybe vary it up. Some tables can have short, some tall, some metal, some white. Don't be afraid to have some variation. The most important thing is to have fun with it, and don't stress. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete