Monday, August 22, 2011

Wedding Party

To me, one of the most important decisions in planning a wedding is who you ask to stand up with you.  You want people who support you as a couple.  I want people who are happy to celebrate with us, and who can be bribed with wine (or, in certain cases, whiskey) to help me put together favors and or address invitations.  I'm also conscious of conventions, in that I'm probably not going to follow them.  Our wedding party is only partially complete, and some of the decisions we have to make are influenced by questions such as "How many people do we want, total?"  "Do we have to have an even number of chicks and dudes?"  "Can the sexes be intermingled, or do we have to keep a boys' side and girls' side?"  While I'm not into doing anything just because you're supposed to, it does pose some interesting conundrums.  Is my best guy friend (who also happens to be 6' 4") going to feel awkward standing amidst a group of girls?  How will that look in pictures? 

So this is what we've got so far:
Officient: Gwen Sefrhans - A mutual friend of ours from college who also happens to be an ordained Lutheran minister.
Maid of Honor: Emily Heck - mutual friend from college.
Bridesmaid: Lindsay Renner - my best friend from work. 
Best Man: Dan Gallagher - Paul's brother. 

Everything else is still in decision mode.  It's also hard to ask people to be in a wedding that does not yet have a date.  We have a time-frame, but it's based on the availability of our venue.  So many decisions depend on first making other decisions. 

But no matter who ends up being in the final wedding party, I promise copious amounts of wine or whiskey to get us all through it!

2 comments:

  1. Forget the date, I want to know the where! Pretty sure we could get you Great Hall! I've seen a couple of wedding where people mix up the bride and goom sides. It makes for interesting pictures indeed but you know people will remember your wedding out of the many! :)
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. We seriously considered it, Crystal. I think we're going to try for Pilgrim Center, since Paul's side will have some out-of-town guests that maybe be able to stay there the whole weekend. Plus I used to work there so I may get a deal!

    ReplyDelete